Board meeting Minutes from February 7, 1933 note that “members of the school committee on Mexican situation were appointed as follows: Helmer Johnson, W.J. Walsh D.B. Gregg.”
“The Mexican School,” was originally housed in rental space in the Negro M.E. Church in Old Town and opened on October 9, 1933. Norma Pfluger was named the school’s teacher at a rate of $75/month. The school year was seven months long.
Round Rock Schools were now fully segregated, with separate schools for white, black and Mexican students.
A school building was later constructed on the hillside near what is now the northwest intersection of IH-35 and Round Rock Avenue (RM 620). The “Mexican School” was in use for 15 years, until 1948 after Delgado v. Bastrop ISD ruled segregated “Mexican Schools” to be unconstitutional.